Friday, May 31, 2013

Kerala Style Unniappam

Dear Friends


Unniappam(sweet rice appams) is the most favorite sweet recipe as we are keralites and we used to make it for Krishna Jayanthi Celebrations or other occasions.My mom will always make it whenever the festivals are nearing.It is the most favorite sweet for me and my brother.I asked my mom for the recipe and she gave it to me.I had followed the method and made it.It tasted the same as exact as my mom had prepared it since my childhood days!!Now she still made appam for my daughter and loved all her grandmother's recipes.




Here it is

Recipe Source:My mom

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups rice flour or raw rice.
  • 1 cup Jaggery
  • 3 Plantain bananas or small bananas ripe ones
  • 3 to 4 Cardamom pods or 1 Tsp crushed cardamom
  • 1 cup Coconut tiny bits 
  • 1/2 Tsp Black Sesame Seeds /Ellu
  • 1 1/4 cups Water for jaggery
  • Coconut Oil and Ghee for frying

Method:



  1. If you are using the raw rice,Soak the raw rice for about 2 hours and drain the water 
  2. Take a paper or big plate,spread the drained rice and keep outside the balcony or sunlight and allow it to dry 
  3. Once dried go to the mills and grind it for smooth fine powder.
  4. If you are using store bought rice flour,then lightly roast the rice flour in the frying pan.keep aside
  5. Take a saucepan,add the jaggery and water and allow it to boil till the jaggery gets dissolved on medium heat.
  6. Drain out the impurities of the jaggery syrup.
  7. Add 1 Tablespoon of Ghee into the medium frying pan,Roast the coconut bits and allow it to cook till brown in color Keep aside
  8. Add the sesame seeds in the same ghee frying pan and roast lightly.
  9. Chop the bananas into small pieces or mash the bananas if you like.
  10. Take a wide bowl,Add the rice flour,drained jaggery syrup one by one till you get the batter consistency.
  11. Add bananas,cardamom pods or crushed cardamom powder 
  12. Finally add the coconut bits and sesame seeds to it and mix thoroughly
  13. Allow the batter to sit for about 1 to 2 hours.Cover it with lid.
  14. Take appam mold (cast iron mold),Add a spoon of coconut oil and ghee to it.Once it is heated,add a spoonful of appam batter to it
  15. Allow it to cook till it gets bubbly and sides are cooked till it gets golden brown in color
  16. Flip the side of the appam and let it cook and both sides gets brown in color.
  17. Repeat the process from 14 to 16 steps.
  18. Drain the appams with the tissue paper
  19. Serve warm. 
Enjoy!!!

Happy Cooking !!!!



Linking this entry to Pari's Event Cook Like Mum


inking this entry to Sowmya's Event Authentic Indian sweets


Linking this entry to Sowmya's Event and owned By Gayathri's Announcement event
.


5 comments:

  1. Delicious unniappam, I love it my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so authentic and so delicious... love these cute unniappams... Thanks for sending this yummy recipe to my event.. Looking for more yummy recipes...

    Sowmya
    Event - Authentic Indian Sweets w giveaway
    Event - Kid's delight - Sweet Treats

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe.
    Thanks for linking it to Cook Like Mom Event.

    FOODELICIOUS

    Join Me This Month

    June Event - 'ONLY' Crazy For Potato+ Cookbook Giveaway



    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! :) I look forward to hearing from you of any commrnts on my blog ,suggestions and requests Please follow my blog..
Feel free to email me @ tangymindsachu@gmail.com